05 April 2005

Mullets Against Hunger

I recently watched the DVD compilation of Live Aid, twenty years after the fact. Hadn't paid attention to it the first time around. (My favorite band as a kid was the Beatles, & since they weren't performing, I wasn't interested.) A few thoughts:

  • Quick summary - "Hairspray, eyeshadow, DX7s, & lots of prancing."
  • Rik Ocasek has the world's most prominent gullet.
  • Who's Nik Kershaw?
  • Tom Petty's muttonchops blatantly overstep regulation standards. Was he issued a fine backstage?
  • At least we can be thankful John Lennon was mercifully spared the sight & sounds of "Revolution" publicly castrated by Carrot Top.
  • What on earth prompted Bowie to go evangelical in the eighties?
  • U2 kicked some serious rump in those days. Wow. Hands-down the strongest performance.
  • For all his crimes against humanity, Phil Collins is still a pretty rockin' drummer when he shuts up long enough. Remember those early Genesis records?
  • Was this Roger Daltry's final musical appearance before hanging up his microphone & going into politics under the pseudonym of John Kerry?
  • George Michael is so gay it's painful.
  • Duran Duran frontman Simon Le Bon kinda looks like Ewan McGregor. Is it the chin?
  • Wasn't anyone heterosexual in the eighties?
  • Other than U2, the scant few performers that came off with some degree of dignity include The Pretenders, Elvis Costello, & Judas Priest.
  • Peter Gabriel is suspiciously missing.
  • Imagine the same concert, only with the principle players recast as REM, The Replacements, Kate Bush, Tom Waits, The Cure, XTC, Husker Du, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, The Pogues, Talking Heads, Cocteau Twins, Stevie Ray Vaughan. There was good music going on somewhere back then. Honest.
  • Twenty years ago, Mick Jagger was lookin' pretty old. Man, he's one floppy sockpuppet.
  • Mmm... Tina Turner's legs.
  • That end bit with Dylan, Richards, & Wood was spectacularly horrible. As in, "Bob, quick, get outta bed, zip up your trousers, & get on stage!" "Whu-?" Kinda charming though.
  • "We Are the World" is a dreadful tune. Sorry folks. I hope we're not going to get pummeled with it on its twentieth anniversary.
  • Run-DMC was at Live Aid? Everyone watches with blank looks. "What is this stuff these crazy negros are pumping out? They're not even singing."
  • "Dancing in the Street"?
  • I hope this thing ultimately fed a lot of people. It was a high price in cultural damage to pay.

Man, I hated the eighties.


1 comment:

Master of None said...

I clicked the 'carrot top' link innocently enough. It took me to a page I "shouldn't" have been directed to. So, I had a type-written diaglogue with the offended webmaster.
'How did you find this?' he bellowed in a thick, brooding font.
'I just clicked the link on my friend's blog' I clicked in a completely non-threatening Arial.
'Who is he! What is his name and is there anyone innocent that he loves?!' he responded instantly, this time in bold.
'I feel uncomfortable, and I'm signing off from this conversation' I lightly typed, this time with Arial Black, to let him know I couldn't be pushed around.
'It's all right. We already know who he is. And right now, we're sending Daltry and Jagger to his apartment to take turns rubbing their sweaty, dead president pockmarked hides againsts him until his hair grows long and full in the back and he begins repairing tractors for a living!' Then he started laughing, hahahahaahaha--but it went off the right margin of the page, and I hate using the horizontal bar, so I have no idea how long it went on. For all I know, he's still laughing. Sorry, man.