11 January 2006

She Said She Said

The current stance in literature, apparently, is to frown upon using any verb other than "said" as dialogue tags. I've heard this from a few different so-called authoritative sources recently. Now, I can understand developing writers getting carried away in their haste to be unboring, & going overboard with their tags. And I can understand the inclination of exasperated educator-types to stifle said sophomoric excess. But it distracts me to no end in a story to encounter endless lines of "he said," "she said," "he said," "she said," ad nauseum. It gives me the impression the writer has a limited vocabulary. So I respectfully disagree with this verdict. I say the key is to have exactly the perfect word for the situation at hand. With any description, really. Nothing excessive, nothing superfluous - just BANG, the precise word that nails the situation right through the forehead. If it's a shrug instead of a said, so be it.

I'm not a big fan of barebones writing, I might add. I want my authors to sweat for their art, & discover things in the mundane I never realized were there. The less I am told by the author, the more information I end up filling in on my own. And the more I fill in on my own, the more inclined I feel to expect a certain percentage of the publishing royalties for having to do so much of the work myself. At least to get a sizeable refund off the cover price.


1 comment:

Lance Mannion said...

Elmore Leonard advocates using nothing but said. Robert B. Parker makes a fetish of it. It's Hemingway worship, that's all, and after a while it becomes an affectation and as obvious and annoying as all the he enthused, he gushed, he exclaimed, he barked, he interjected, he quipped, he jibed etc. in the Hardy Boys books.

I like to see how far I can get through any dialogue without there being any sort of markers myself.