18 April 2007

Bring Out Your Dead

I've been keeping a line on the various cultural landmarks that have come crashing down since I landed in the Big Onion. The list is growing unfavorably long.

As everyone knows, CBGB bit the dust last autumn.

Coliseum Books shut down, reopened in a new location, and shut down once again.

The building which once housed McGurk's Suicide Hall was torn down to make way for a condominium.

Cedar Tavern has been closed for renovation for many months. Some are skeptical they'll ever reopen.

Onetime speakeasy Chumley's is closed indefinitely after a chimney collapsed. It has been speculated that the building will have to be razed.

Tower Records is gone, but I'm not particularly concerned about that. What'd they ever do for me?

Former Beat Generation haunt West End Café was rechristened Havana Central. I haven't been there since the reopening, so I don't know if they've retained the literary memorabilia on the walls.

Not sure what's going on over at the legendary Gotham Book Mart. The last two occasions I passed by, its gates were locked, windows dark, and a foreboding sign on the door stated simply "on vacation." The whole scene feels uneasily like the aftermath of a mob hit.

And now Tonic, one of my favorite venues for adventurous music, couldn't handle the increase in rent and was forced to take a powder. Marc Ribot, Beat Circus, Elysian Fields, and others will have to find a new home.

Unsettling trend. Who's next, I wonder.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Knitting Factory might be getting the axe soon too.

Anonymous said...

That Naked Cowboy in Times Square will probably be packing it up soon. There hasn't been a market for that since.....the 1970s. And the next time I see you, perhaps I will explain the relevance of Tower Records closing. Boo, I say. Boooo.

Samantha Goldberg said...

Havana Central? Big thumbs down in the 'stuff- worth- looking- at' department.

I tried eggs florentine. It was poached. It reminded me of you and the West End Cafe. :) Lovely. That is all. :)

Rob Hill said...

Toss Sin-E onto the bonfire - they're closing too. Good times.

Samantha Goldberg said...

See also, Empire Roller Skating Center, birthplace of roller disco
(http://www.wnbc.com/entertainment/11372517/detail.html)

And Manhattan's last riding academy (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20070425-0034-urbanstable.html)

... so much for that 'Hair' reenactment we had planned.