04 March 2011

Recent Listening

Here are the recent albums that, according to Last.fm, compel me to keep hitting repeat.

PJ Harvey: Let England Shake
Darkly-bruised folk battle hymns. Her first album to really grab me since Stories from the City.

Radiohead: The King of Limbs
Lulling and hypnotic.

Sufjan Stevens: The Age of Adz
A concept album in which I have no idea what the concept is. Something vaguely apocalyptical, I figure, with all its mentions of volcanoes and ghosts. The arrangements remind me of an electronic wizard version of the controlled chaos orchestrated by Van Dyke Parks for Joanna Newsom's Ys album.

Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
I'm not qualified to speak for his emcee skills, but production-wise the dude knows his business behind a mixing console.

Arcade Fire: The Suburbs
You've probably never heard of them.


1 comment:

robyn said...

while this isn't super recent anymore, our recent listening as of march was the same. right now, i'm not really stuck on anything, which is a reprieve of sorts. ok, that's not true. i'm stuck on the dirty projectors and it bothers me for some reason. l, r