14 March 2005

"What Are You Rebelling Against, Johnny?"

Holy credenza! That's Bud Cort in The Life Aquatic as the bond company representative. Now there's a transformation.



The whole aging, evolving, maturing concept is not one I can grasp easily. How did Brando get from Stanley Kowalski to Superman's dad? I've been around just long enough that I'm starting to get concrete glimpses of people turning into their parents. It's still a bit of a shock to the system, watching all the former young cocky gunslingers of the eighties buying station wagons so they can drive to their PTA meetings. Having back surgery. Practicing their golf swings. Joining Republican fundraisers.

I'd like to watch a timelapse film of a person, from baby to corpse. Shot at an interval of every six months or so. Growing up, out, muscles forming, strength developing, flourishing, stabilizing, then beginning to wrinkle, sag, decay. And die out. It's a similar arc for both plant & animal forms, but attaching a personality to it adds quite a stirring new dimension.

Funny how most people are repulsed by the aging body, creeping closer towards inevitable death. The fear that one day it will be us slowly falling apart. Recognizing our fate. And all that. Not really worth spending much brain energy on, I suppose, other than as motivation to drink from the well before it dries up forever.

This isn't supposed to be a morbid post. Stop looking at me like that.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy COW! I was SHOCKED! BUT.....as a big fan of "Harol and Maude"....I started wondering what had happened to Bud Cort...and now I know! He aged. But isn't that the message of "Harold and Maude"...the inevitability of aging, and that it really doesn't change who we are inside? We're STILL the same person. We only get "old" because we ALLOW ouselves to get "old". You know what I mean?

Anonymous said...

Happened across your blog by accident . . . I was so excited to see Bud Cort in The Life Aquatic, but he had also been in the film Pollock. Wanted to mention that he was in a very VERY bad car accident at one point and needed to have very severe facial reconstruction surgery which changed his looks more dramatically than might have happened with normal aging. I think he's looking great and hope to keep seeing him in more and more movies to come! He's too good an actor not to keep working.

Rob Hill said...

Sure enough, I googled up a few accounts of the car accident. I didn't know about that. There are some pretty graphic descriptions out there too. It's an amazing story - eerily similar to Montgomery Clift's fate. I'm glad he pulled himself through it. He's a talented bloke. He doesn't get enough notice for Brewster McCloud.