01 June 2006

Box of Corn

Alright, not so impressed with the New York library system so far. It seems to be quicker to subway around to the various locations to collect what you're looking for than to rely on the interlibrary loan system. Fortunately this is a lot easier to do in New York than it would be in Boston, where the public transportation system is more limited in comparison. Also disappointed to discover they only had one of the CDs in the Bonzo Dog Cornology box set. I did pick up a collection of Harold Lloyd shorts on DVD and a documentary on Magritte.

I sat for a while in Bryant Park, daringly reading in the shade of a tree. A pigeon did his business a few feet away, which made me glance up nervously. The pigeons here are street savvy. I imagine they coo in a Brooklyn accent. "Hey, you gonna eat that or what?" Buses passed heading for exotic-sounding places like Eltingville and New Dorp.

Wandering around 14th Street, I encountered the world's skinniest man outfitted in tight black lycra and PVC boots. He looked like a biker stork. I passed two or three playgrounds for dogs and a children's garden (though I spotted no children growing there). I was even smiled at by a few women in the East Village. That never happened in Boston, where eyecontact is banned with penalty of jailtime. I spotted a high ratio of attractive older women here (hub of the MILF scene?). There also seems to be a high tolerance for diversity here. Not necessarily out of virtue, but because there's so many people crammed in here & no one has the time to spare for intolerance.

Oh, I also met a peanut-sized shitzu named Snorkie, whose human was struggling to stuff him into her handbag.


No comments: